Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Buffalo NY
If you ride a motorcycle in Buffalo, you know how dangerous New York roads can be. Inattention by another motorist can cause an accident that leaves you seriously injured and out of work. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, you need to protect yourself and your rights.
A Buffalo motorcycle accident lawyer from Cantor, Wolff, Nicastro & Hall LLC can help. With more than 100 years of combined experience, our lawyers have built a strong reputation for aggressively negotiating for maximum settlements and winning cases at trial. Our motorcycle accident law firm understands how important your case is. We will give you as our valued client the one-on-one attention you deserve.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident in Buffalo, contact The Hurt Hotline today. For a free case review, call (716) 848-8000 or fill out our online form.
Why Are Motorcycle Accident Claims More Complicated?
Motorcycle accidents present unique challenges for investigators and attorneys. Motorcycle accidents may be more challenging than other types of accidents for these reasons:
- Motorcycle accidents may have more complex causes than other accidents on the road. Driver inattention, low visibility, poor road conditions, and other issues can cause a motorcycle accident. As part of an investigation, you will need to understand exactly what happened before, during, and after the accident.
- Severe injuries are common in motorcycle accidents. Unlike other motorists, motorcycle riders have very little protection. Even a low-speed accident can result in permanent injuries.
- Unfair assumptions happen all the time in motorcycle accident claims. Motorcycle riders understand the risks of the road, and most drive carefully and defensively. However, many times people assume that the motorcycle rider caused the accident by going too fast or not being careful enough. Too many people automatically blame the motorcycle rider for the accident. As part of a motorcycle accident claim, you will need to show exactly what happened and who was really at fault.
Common Injuries in Motorcycle Collisions
After an accident, motorcycle riders can face life-threatening injuries. Common injuries include:
- Head injuries. Even with the best helmets and safety equipment, head injuries are still common after a motorcycle accident.
- Traumatic brain injury. When someone’s head strikes a hard object or the ground, the brain can be bruised, torn, and permanently damaged. While helmets can help prevent some of these injuries, brain injuries can occur even when a helmet is used.
- Broken bones. When motorcycle riders and passengers are struck or thrown during an accident, broken bones are common.
- Torn or damaged muscles and soft tissue. After an accident, you may suffer tears and strains in muscles, joints, and soft tissues. These injuries can impair your movement and may require surgery.
- Spinal injuries. Any injury to the spine could lead to partial or complete paralysis, numbness, loss of control, and many life-threatening issues.
- Internal bleeding and damage. Not all injuries are obvious. Serious injuries can happen internally, including damage to vital organs.
- Dental damage. Sudden forceful impacts can damage your teeth. Dental repair can be costly and painful.
- Abrasions such as road rash. When riders slide on the road, they can suffer serious injuries. Road rash can result in infections, and more serious cases may require immediate medical treatment.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Inexperienced drivers. Drivers who are just starting out on the road may not know how to deal with motorcyclists. They may not leave enough space or know how to react in an emergency.
- Inattentive drivers. Distractions such as cellphones and food or beverages can take a driver’s attention off the road, leading to life-threatening injuries for nearby motorcyclists.
- Road conditions. Poorly maintained or poorly lit roads are a leading cause of motorcycle accidents. If you have been injured due to dangerous road conditions, gather as much evidence as you can and reach out to a Buffalo motorcycle accident law firm today.
- Right-of-way mistakes. Whether a driver does not see a motorcycle or simply disregards it, right-of-way mistakes by drivers can easily harm a motorcyclist.
- Speeding. When motorists drive too fast, they may not have time to react to hazards on the road. If a driver is speeding and strikes a motorcycle rider, the motorcyclist can be thrown from a bike, leading to major injuries or death.
- Collisions with objects. Road hazards can cause a motorcycle accident. The hazard may be an object that has fallen off a truck, road construction equipment, or anything else on the road that serves as an obstacle.
What You Need to Know About Proving Fault
After a motorcycle accident, you will need to build a strong case to prove who was responsible for the crash. It may be that another driver’s negligence caused the accident. Or the accident could have been caused by an equipment failure such as a tire blowout. Fault is a central part of any motorcycle accident claim, so you need to show exactly what happened.
Evidence Our Buffalo Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Will Rely On To Prove Fault
- Photos from the accident, including your injuries, damage to vehicles, and road conditions
- Police reports providing an overview of the accident
- Witness statements
- Medical records of your injuries
- Any footage of the accident from personal or stationary cameras
- Expert investigation and accident reconstruction
An experienced motorcycle accident lawyer will gather all available evidence to build your claim. Our lawyers work with experts to understand what happened, who was at fault, and who may be held responsible for your injuries. Contact our motorcycle accident law firm now to discuss your legal rights.
How Our Buffalo Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Can Help
After an accident, you may be facing serious and long-term injuries. As you recover, our Buffalo motorcycle accident attorneys can help you.
Work Our Attorneys Can Do For You
- Managing your claim and serving as the contact for any emails, letters or calls
- Working to minimize your stress about the claim
- Investigating your accident to find out what happened and who was at fault
- Gathering all the evidence, records and paperwork your claim needs
- Explaining the laws that are involved and how they impact your claim
- Negotiating with insurance companies and responsible parties
- Helping you understand a potential settlement and what your options are
- Filing a lawsuit and handling all the paperwork and filings that the court needs
- Fighting for you at trial, if necessary
These are only a few of the ways that our motorcycle accident lawyers in Buffalo can help you. If you have questions about your accident and building a claim, contact us today.
How Much Is Your Case Worth?
The value of your motorcycle accident claim will depend upon the unique facts of your situation.
Compensations Available In a New York Motorcycle Accident Case
- Medical bills related to the accident and care you may need in the future
- Lost wages resulting from the accident, including damage to future earnings
- Property damage including the cost of your vehicle, safety gear and personal items
- Pain and suffering
Call The Hurt Hotline today to talk with a motorcycle accident attorney in Buffalo, NY, about the damages that may be available in your case.
What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident in Buffalo
After a motorcycle accident, these tips can help you protect and build your claim:
- Call 911 or law enforcement. The responding officers will investigate the crash and begin documenting what happened.
- Take photographs. If you can, photograph your injuries as well as damage to the vehicles. Also take photos of any relevant evidence, including skid marks and road conditions. Photos immediately after an accident can be important evidence in a motorcycle claim. Emergency services officials may move pieces of debris and pull vehicles off the road, disturbing key pieces of evidence. Your photos help preserve the accident for investigators and your claim.
- Do not discuss the accident with the other motorist. This is important because anything you say could later be used against you. The other motorist may misinterpret or twist your words. If you apologize even out of politeness, that statement could have a serious impact on your claim. Remember that you may not know exactly what caused the accident. Let lawyers and investigators deal with that while you focus on healing.
- Get the names and contact information of witnesses. Many witnesses will leave soon after seeing an accident. Get the names and contact info for anyone who saw what happened.
- Seek medical attention. Your health comes first. If you were injured, immediately seek help. Even a small delay can result in lasting injury to you and others.
- Keep a record of how your injuries have affected you. A journal can help you understand your day-to-day experience as you recover from your injuries. A daily record can also help your lawyer build a case for the compensation you deserve.
- Talk to a lawyer as soon as possible. Your attorney can step in immediately to deal with insurance companies and other parties involved. This will take the pressure off you and ensure you don’t make any mistakes that could hurt your case.
Understanding New York Motorcycle Laws
Here are some of the most important motorcycle laws in New York you should be aware of as a motorcyclist:
- Riders and passengers must wear helmets and eye protection while on the road.
- Helmets must conform to federal DOT standards, and eye protection must conform to ANSI standards.
- Riders must use their headlights during the day to increase visibility.
- The motorcycle must have key safety equipment including reflectors, brake and turn signals, horns, and other devices.
- Lane splitting is not allowed.
- Regular safety inspections are required, and riders must carry insurance.
Talk to a Buffalo Motorcycle Accident Attorney Now
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident in Buffalo, call The Hurt Hotline today. Our focus is on helping people who have suffered personal injuries. Our experienced motorcycle accident lawyers at Cantor, Wolff, Nicastro & Hall LLC are available to talk with you now. No case is too big or too small, and we only collect fees if we win for you.
For a free case review, call The Hurt Hotline at (716) 848-8000 or use our online form.