Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Buffalo NY
When you are a pedestrian, the roads can be a dangerous place. Cars and trucks often disregard your rights and your safety. Motorists often travel too fast and do not treat pedestrians with care. In many cases, motorists are not even watching out for pedestrians on the road, leading to serious and sometimes pedestrian fatalities.
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, call The Hurt Hotline today. Our experienced pedestrian accident attorneys have more than 100 years of combined experience. We stand up for those who have suffered serious injuries, demanding full compensation for your losses.
At Cantor, Wolff, Nicastro & Hall LLC, we believe that your case is too important to get lost in the shuffle. We will go over all the details of your case, discuss your options and provide the one-on-one attention that you deserve. For your free case consultation, call The Hurt Hotline today at (716) 848-8000 or reach us online.
What to Do If You’ve Been Hurt in a Pedestrian Accident
Take these steps following an accident to protect your right to full compensation:
- Call 911 or local law enforcement. Report the accident and wait for help to arrive. The responding officers will investigate the crash and file an official report, which can be used to support your claim.
- Take photos and get information about the vehicles that were involved. Photos of an accident scene can be crucial evidence. Photos can show investigators who were at the scene and how the accident may have unfolded. Take photos of key information, such as the vehicle’s license plate, make and model. If possible, take photos of your injuries. Photos, when combined with medical reports, can be an essential part of a pedestrian accident claim.
- Do not speak with others about the accident. After an accident, keep your thoughts to yourself. You may not have the complete picture of what caused the accident, and anything you say to others may be turned against you.
- Collect the contact information of any witnesses. Witnesses may quickly disperse after a crash. Gather their contact info as soon as possible so your attorney can follow up with them.
- Seek medical treatment. Go to the hospital or your doctor immediately to seek treatment for your injuries. This will ensure you have the best chance at recovery, and it will help document what you have been through.
- Contact a pedestrian accident law firm. A Buffalo pedestrian accident lawyer can review your case, discuss your options and help build your claim. An attorney can handle all the negotiations and fight for you in court if necessary.
How Our Buffalo Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Can Help
Our knowledgeable attorneys can help you:
- Understand what happened in your accident and who might be held responsible
- Manage your claim from start to finish
- Gather and organize key documents, such as medical records and police reports
- Negotiate with insurers and others who may be responsible for your injuries
- Fight in court for the compensation you deserve
These are only a few of the ways a lawyer can help. If you have been hit by a negligent driver, call a pedestrian accident lawyer now to learn how we can take the pressure off you during this difficult time.
Demanding Full Compensation for Your Injuries
There is no taking back the injuries and damage you have suffered, but you deserve the full resources that you need to move forward. In New York, you may be entitled to these forms of compensation after a pedestrian accident:
- Medical expenses, including past and future medical care. Medical care after an accident can be expensive. A pedestrian accident claim can help you obtain the resources you need to take care of your present and future Medical care.
- Lost wages and damage to your future earnings. An accident may take away your ability to earn a living in the short-term. It may even take away your ability to ever work again.
- Compensation for pain and suffering. Accidents can leave you with pain long after your injuries have healed. Compensation may be available for the ongoing pain and suffering caused by your accident.
- Punitive damages. In some cases, drivers act with extreme carelessness or recklessness. In those cases, a court may impose punitive damages on them. These damages are intended to punish the responsible party.
To understand what types of compensation may apply to your case, speak with a pedestrian accident lawyer in Buffalo, NY, today.
Time Limit for Filing a Pedestrian Accident Claim in NY
In general, you have three years from the date of the accident to file your personal injury claim. This time limit is known as the statute of limitations. If you fail to file your claim within the time limit, you lose the right to bring a claim to court.
Three years may sound like a long time. However, investigating a pedestrian accident can take a great deal of time. That is particularly true if those responsible for the accident refuse to cooperate. After an accident, protect your claim by speaking with an attorney as soon as possible.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents are tragic and often avoidable. Many motorists do not operate their vehicles with care around pedestrians. Common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Drunk or intoxicated driving. Motorists who operate cars or trucks while intoxicated are risking their lives and the lives of those around them. Causing car and truck accidents. Drunk and intoxicated drivers are responsible for far too many pedestrian injuries and deaths.
- Distracted or inattentive driving. Cellphones and in-car entertainment can be major distractions for drivers. When people aren’t paying attention to the road, pedestrians all too often pay the price with serious injuries.
- Speeding. Drivers who go too fast may not have enough time to react to prevent a crash. If they encounter a pedestrian, the result can be serious injuries or death.
- Failure to yield to pedestrians. Pedestrians have rights on the road just like everyone else. Unfortunately, many drivers do not give pedestrians the space and care that they are legally entitled to.
Common Injuries in Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrians have no protection against cars and trucks. Even a low-speed accident can lead to life-threatening injuries. Common injuries in pedestrian accidents include:
- Broken bones. Pedestrians cannot withstand the violent force of a car or truck on the road. Even when vehicles are traveling slowly, they may still cause broken bones.
- Head injuries. Head injuries are common in pedestrian accidents. The head can be seriously injured by hitting the vehicle’s body or striking the ground immediately after the collision.
- Brain injuries. Even if pedestrians do not hit their heads, they can still suffer brain injuries. If the brain is subjected to extreme forces, it can begin to bleed or suffer other damage.
- Internal damage to organs. After an accident, a pedestrian may not show outward signs of injury, but internal tissues and organs can be harmed.
- Spinal cord injuries. Pedestrian accidents often result in spinal cord injuries. The weight, speed, and power of a vehicle can severely damage a pedestrian’s back, resulting in partial or complete paralysis.
- Scarring and disfigurement. After an accident, pedestrians may be left with permanent and painful scars.
- Wrongful death. If you have lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident, no amount of compensation can replace that person. However, compensation can help you and your family with the resources that you need during this difficult time.
Talk to a Buffalo Pedestrian Accident Attorney Now
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, contact The Hurt Hotline now. At Cantor, Wolff, Nicastro & Hall LLC, we have a reputation for winning cases. We are ready to put our more than 100 years of combined experience to work for you. We have the skills and resources your case demands, and we will not collect any fees unless we win for you.
For your free case review, contact us today. Reach out online or call (716) 848-8000.