Child Victims Act Attorney in Buffalo NY
Sexual abuse of children is a horrific crime that can leave survivors emotionally and physically injured for life. All too often, individuals who were abused as children do not have the voice to come forward until they are much older. In the past, many survivors were not able to demand the justice they deserved because too much time had passed since the crime occurred. Thanks to the New York Child Victims Act, that has now changed.
At Cantor, Wolff, Nicastro & Hall LLC, our sexual abuse victims lawyers understand the devastating impact of these cases. We are committed to helping survivors throughout Buffalo hold their abusers accountable. Our child sex abuse lawyers bring more than 100 years of combined experience to every case we handle. We stand ready to help you now.
Call The Hurt Hotline today at (716) 848-8000 or contact us online to schedule a free and confidential case consultation. We will listen to your story, answer your questions, and explain your rights under the law.
What Is the NY Child Victims Act?
The NY Child Victims Act is an important piece of legislation that extends deadlines to bring claims for child sexual abuse. The act provides a window for the revival of claims that may have previously been time-barred.
- The act extends the statute of limitations in criminal proceedings. Under prior law, prosecutors had a limited period to bring criminal actions against an abuser. The Child Victims Act extends, and in some cases eliminates, the time limits on those actions.
- The act allows victims until the age of 55 to file a civil action. This update to the law recognizes how difficult it was for child sexual abuse survivors to come forward within the existing statute of limitations.
- The act creates a look-back window for survivors whose claims may have been barred because they happened too long ago. Under prior law, child sexual abuse survivors often only had a few years from the age of 18 to bring a claim. By extending the statute of limitations and creating a look-back window, the Child Victims Act helps New Yorkers pursue the justice they deserve.
Compensation Through a Child Victims Act Settlement
No amount of compensation can undo what has been done. Still, compensation can be an essential part of taking action against abusers, and it can provide the resources you need. As part of a Child Victims Act settlement, you may be entitled to compensation for the pain and suffering you have experienced, as well as the costs of medical treatment, therapies, and many other types of damages.
Compensation may also be available from the organizations that employed or managed the individual who abused you. In these cases, organizations may be held liable for negligent hiring, failing to take action when abuse is reported, or for other forms of vicarious liability. If you are considering a claim, speak with a Child Victims Act lawyer today about those forms of liability.
What Is the Look-Back Window?
The look-back window is a critical piece of the Child Victims Act of NY. It allows those who were the victims of child sexual abuse to file claims even if the prior statute of limitations had run out on their claims. That means that those who may have lost their ability to bring a claim due to time limits can now take action. Victims may now file claims for compensation for abuse that took place decades ago.
This look-back window was originally only supposed to last one year. However, due to the COVID pandemic, the New York legislature and Gov. Andrew Cuomo have extended the window to January 14, 2021. Because of this extension, child sexual abuse victims have additional time to bring their claims.
If you are considering a claim about abuse, speak with a Child Victims Act lawyer in Buffalo, NY, today.
How Our Child Victims Act Lawyer Can Help You
Bringing a claim is an important step, and our Child Victims Act lawyers can help you in these ways:
- Gathering evidence and determining who could be held accountable. In an abuse case, the abuser and companies or organizations that employed the abuser and did not take action on reports of abuse may also be liable.
- Helping you understand the law and how it applies to your case. Every case has unique facts and parties that may be subject to different laws. Our team can explain the law that is involved and how that may affect your claim.
- Updating you regularly. Throughout the process, we will keep you updated on your claim and what to expect.
- Taking care of any calls, letters or communications about your case. A Child Victims Act claim can be very stressful, but we can serve as the contact point for any communications for your claim.
- Representing you in settlement negotiations. We will advocate for your recovery and work to hold those who abused you accountable for their actions.
- Advocating for you and your recovery in court. If your claim needs to go to court, our experienced Child Victims Act lawyers will zealously fight for the justice you deserve at trial.
If you are ready to come forward about abuse you suffered as a child, let a Buffalo Child Victims Act lawyer help you. A lawyer can review your case and answer any questions you may have in a free and confidential consultation.
Trusted Child Victims Act Lawyers in Buffalo, NY
At Cantor, Wolff, Nicastro & Hall LLC, we have more than 100 years of combined experience, and we are committed to demanding justice for those who were taken advantage of at their most vulnerable. Call The Hurt Hotline today at (716) 848-8000 or contact us online for a free case review.