Slip and Fall Lawyer in Buffalo, NY
People in Buffalo understand the dangers of a slip and fall accident. During the long, hard winters, we all watch our steps to avoid icy patches, melted water and other hazards. However, even the most careful person can end up hurt when a business fails to maintain its floors, ramps and other walking surfaces.
Why Slip and Fall Accidents Shouldn’t be Underestimated
You may suffer from life-threatening injuries and require expensive medical care after a slip and fall accident. You shouldn’t have to pay for someone else’s negligence. Contact an experienced Buffalo slip and fall lawyer at Cantor, Wolff, Nicastro & Hall LLC today. We have more than 100 years of combined experience, and we are ready to put our skills to work for you.
For a free case review, call The Hurt Hotline at (716) 848-8000 or use our online form.
What Do You Have to Prove in a Slip and Fall Claim?
To succeed with a slip and fall claim, you must prove these elements:
- The property owner had a duty to keep the premises safe for you. When you bring a slip and fall claim in New York, you must show those who own or control property have a legal duty to keep it safe for visitors who may foreseeably be on the property. This duty usually applies to customers, guests and others who could be expected on the property. The duty does not extend to people who are trespassing.
- The at-fault party breached the duty by allowing a dangerous or hazardous condition to occur on the property. This point can be challenging to prove in a slip and fall case. A lawyer will need to show that the property owner knew or should have known about the hazardous condition.
- You must show the hazardous condition caused your injury. You must be able to show that your injuries were caused by your fall and not by something else. Seeking medical help immediately can begin to establish this.
- You must prove that you were injured. Medical reports, documentation about missed work, photos of the injuries, and other types of evidence can be used to demonstrate the losses you have suffered.
After an accident, investigators and attorneys will need to gather, organize, and analyze a wide range of evidence to prove your claim. If you have questions about how the process may work in your case, speak with a slip and fall lawyer in Buffalo, NY, today.
How Can a Buffalo Slip and Fall Attorney Help?
A slip and fall injury lawyer can help you build and manage your claim from start to finish. Your lawyer can take the pressure off you by representing you in any negotiations or court proceedings. For example, a lawyer can:
- Collect evidence and consult experts. You will need a wide range of evidence to support your slip and fall accident claim. You may need camera footage, medical reports, a written accident report from the scene, information about lighting and weather at the time of the accident, witness statements and other types of evidence. A lawyer can pull together the experts and evidence that your claim needs to move forward.
- Explain your case’s status and progress. A slip and fall claim can require a significant amount of investigation. A lawyer can help you understand your case and what to expect as it progresses.
- Answer any questions you may have. Many people who have suffered injuries have questions about what compensation they deserve, how the law will affect their claim, and how long the process may take to resolve. A lawyer can answer your questions and provide you with all the details you need.
- Deal with paperwork, communications, and court filings. Slip and fall and trip and fall claims can be quite complex. A lawyer can be the point of contact for your claim and manage all paperwork to ensure no mistakes are made.
- Aggressively negotiate on your behalf. Your claim will likely require negotiation during settlement discussions. A lawyer can handle these negotiations and be ready to maximize the value of your claim.
- Fight for you and your claim in court. While many claims settle, some may need to go to court. In those cases, a lawyer can craft a strong case and advocate for you. A lawyer can draft a lawsuit, organize evidence and argue in court for the compensation you deserve.
Demanding Compensation for Your Slip and Fall Accident Injuries
In New York, compensation for your injuries may include:
- Medical expenses including treatment for your injury and your future care
- Lost wages and future harm to your income that you may suffer
- Payment for your pain and suffering
- Wrongful death damages when someone you love passes away due to a slip and fall accident
The compensation available to you will depend on the unique setting and facts of your case. A Buffalo slip and fall attorney from our firm can review your case and discuss what damages may apply.
How Long Do You Have to File a Premises Liability Claim in NY?
In New York, you generally have three years from the date of the accident to file a slip and fall or premises liability claim. If someone died because of the accident, you have two years from the date that person passed away. If you fail to meet these deadlines, you may lose your ability to bring a claim in court.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a slip, trip, or fall accident, get the legal advice you need now. Our lawyers can review your case, collect vital evidence, and make sure that your claim is filed on time.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Common causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Slippery floors caused by dripping water, melted snow and cleaning solutions
- Uneven or damaged floors, including broken tiles and loose rugs
- Untreated ice
- Unsafe supports and railings
- Obstructions on the walking surface such as debris or extension cords
- Sudden unmarked drops
- Poor lighting
Common Places Where Slip and Fall Accidents Occur
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere. Common locations include:
- Parking lots. Ice and snow can quickly build up in a parking lot. When those conditions are not addressed, shoppers can easily be hurt. Parking lots can also be dangerous if potholes and other problems are left unchecked.
- Inside businesses such as grocery stores. Many businesses use laminate flooring, which is affordable, attractive and easily cleaned. However, these surfaces can become very slippery when wet. The floors in many businesses can be dangerous due to recent cleaning, soapy residue, spilled liquids or wet entranceways.
- Stairs. Stairs are one of the most common places for slip and fall accidents. Water, melted ice, or puddled cleaning solution can easily cause a slip and fall accident in a stairway. When people slip and fall down stairs, they may be left with life-threatening injuries.
- Ramps. Loading ramps or wheelchair ramps can be extremely dangerous. When property managers fail to maintain those surfaces, people can quickly lose their footing and wind up injured.
- Sidewalks. In Buffalo, the owners and occupants of buildings should remove snow and ice on the sidewalk in front of their buildings. Too often, they do not, and Buffalo residents are injured in a fall.
What to Do If You’ve Been Hurt in a Slip & Fall
If you have been hurt in a fall, take these steps to protect yourself and your claim:
- Get in touch with emergency services to report the accident and get the care you need. When you report the accident, make sure that your injuries are treated and that there is an official record of what happened.
- Notify the occupants or manager of the building about the accident. Those who occupy or own the building should know about the dangerous conditions and that you were injured. Notify them of your accident in writing.
- If possible, take photos of your injuries and the area where the accident happened. Pictures of injuries, and the conditions that led to them, can be a critical part of a slip and fall claim. If you can, take photos as soon as possible after an accident.
- Collect the names and contact information of witnesses. People who witness accidents may walk away after help arrives on the scene. If possible, get contact information before those witnesses leave.
- Save any clothing and shoes you were wearing at the time. These items may contain residue from a substance on the floor that caused your fall.
- Speak with a slip and fall attorney in Buffalo, NY, to understand your options. A lawyer can advise you on your case and file a claim for the compensation you deserve.
Talk to a Buffalo Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer Now
If you have been injured in a slip and fall or trip and fall accident, contact The Hurt Hotline today. The experienced slip and fall lawyers of Cantor, Wolff, Nicastro & Hall LLC understand what you are going through. We will give you the one-on-one attention that your case deserves. With a strong reputation for winning at trial and a commitment to the people of Buffalo, we are here to help you. You owe us no fees unless and until we win your case.
Call us today at (716) 848-8000 or use our online form to get started with a free consultation.